Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

What we ate this weekend

Here in Texas, it was rainy and no fun!  Plus we had some sick boys in our house.  We spent most of our three day weekend laying around the house not doing much.  I am not the type who likes to just do nothing, so when there's nothing to do, I cook!  One thing we had this weekend was pizza!
It took some time for me to learn how to make Paleo Pizza.  It was a lot of trial and error and I am still trying to perfect it.  My favorite pizza dough is from Julian's Bakery.  As far as sauce, I have used lots of different kinds, just look for a brand that does not have sugar.  Cheese has always been difficult.  We use almond cheese and I have to admit, that it is not the same as dairy cheese.  But, I learned a few years ago that dairy gives us stomach problems and skin problems.  It is not worth it for us!  So anyway, I use Daiya block mozzarella.  I have found it at Whole Foods.  We load the pizza up with whatever we feel like.  Pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, basil, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and artichokes have been our favorites.  Just follow the directions on the pizza crust mix package, its very simple.  We always have pizza with a salad.  Pick a salad dressing that doesn't have sugar, and all natural ingredients or make your own!  My favorite salad dressing brands are Primal Kitchen and Tessemae.  Our kids have no problem eating salad.  If your kids are not crazy about it, give them the salad before serving pizza.  Just call it an appetizer.  We still do this, but only because it is a habit now.  
Don't feel like you are force feeding your kids or anything like that.  If it is a really struggle, just start with a small portion.  If you need to, start with one vegetable to add to the salad.  Try to avoid just giving them a lettuce salad.  Salads are a good opportunity to reinforce eating vegetables.  Don't be afraid to add toasted nuts or avocado, those are good fats!   It takes time for kids to like new foods but don't give up after one try.  It can take months but it works!  Happy eating!
 

1 comment:

  1. Just ordered the pizza dough mix! The pizza looks wonderful and I do crave pizza sometimes!

    ReplyDelete