Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Paleo is not about eating like a caveman

Anytime someone finds out that I eat a Paleo diet, the first thing they say is "Oh are you a caveman?  Haha!"  Hilarious (insert sarcasm).  I do not eat Paleo because I believe that is how cavemen ate that way long ago.  I have know idea, I'm not a historian.  I eat this way for so many better reasons.  For one, I am getting more nutritionally dense foods.  What I mean is I am eating foods that have nutritional value, not just empty calories.  My body is getting vitamins and minerals, etc from everything I eat.  Second, I am not starving all the time!  Because I am eating foods with value, I am able to eat more and the foods I have take longer to digest, therefore I am not hungry.  I used to get light headed if I didn't eat.  I thought I just needed to eat.  I now know it was my blood sugar going crazy!   Third, over the last 50 years the way Americans eat has changed dramatically.  We are still the same people but we are eating more processed food, sugar, and artificial foods than ever before.  That it is so scary.  Fourth,  for me one of the jobs as a mother is to make sure my children are fed well.  I want them to grow up understanding the importance of health.  I know it is very hard feeding kids today.  There is junk food everywhere!  All we can do is our best and know we are not perfect.  And last,  I actually enjoy eating this way better!  No more low fat foods.  I remember when I bought real butter for the first time.  It was exhilarating!  I don't have cravings anymore, I sleep better, I have gained muscle, and my kids feel better too!  It's a win win!

I have attached a link to an article I read yesterday.  It gives a simple view of comparing paleo foods to other foods.  Hopefully this will help those who may be confused.  


Thought I would post what we had for breakfast and lunch!

For Breakfast it was veggie scramble.  I sautéed broccoli, kale, and mushrooms in some coconut oil for a few minutes.  Then added 3 eggs.  Topped the scramble with diced tomatoes and avocado!  Very simple!

For lunch it was leftover breakfast quiche of shredded yellow squash and eggs with red cabbage and apples.  Very good!

 
 

 


1 comment:

  1. It all makes sense and you are right, I don't feel hungry. That breakfast quiche looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete