Pages

Friday, February 3, 2017

Variety is the Key

I have been reading The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne, PHd.  This is a great book, especially for beginners that are unsure on how to get started on a Paleo diet.  One section of her book talks about eating a variety of foods.   I know we have all heard that before but it didn't really click with me until recently.  Our bodies need so many different types of vitamins and minerals in order to function at its best.  If you are eating (I have been completely guilty of this) the same things every day you are not getting the nutrition you need.  So this last month I have focused on varying up our meals.  Children need variety for the same reasons but I think it is important for them to get used to eating a variety of foods in order for them to be open to trying new things.  
A good example That Dr. Ballantyne pointed out was comparing kale to collard greens.  You would think they provide the same kind of nutrition, not much difference but we are all so wrong!  Kale has more vitamin C and K, while collards have more vitamin B3 and B9.  Meat should follow the same rule.  Don't limit yourself to ground beef or chicken.  Try a different part of the cow you usually do not buy.  Don't think you should only be eating the breast of a chicken.  Americans have become obsessed with only eating the breast, which has caused unethical chicken farmers to raise chickens with unusually large breasts, filled with hormones and antibiotics.    I won't go off on this targent, at least not today!  Try to incorporate fish into at least 3 times a week, and don't limit it to dinner.  I am so proud of us for having an English Breakfast this week!  Smoked Salmon, eggs, and bell peppers all sautéed together.  It was really good!  My husband said it tasted like bologna!  Be open to a variety of seafood.  One of our boys loves to fish so we like to find out what kind of fish we are having and look it up online to see what it looks like.   You can do this with any animal.  If you are having pork loin, for example, look it up to see where it is on the pig!  It can be fun for kids!  It's the circle of life people!  

One last thought before I go.  I hear from people everyday how picky their kids are.  I understand it can be really hard.  Here is a tip I used to do with the kids.  If there is a food I want them to eat, we would have a taste testing party.  Let's say I want to be able to pack them some raw vegetables in their lunch box.  Gather a variety of veggies, cherry tomatoes, carrots, celery, cucumber, bell pepper (lots of colors), raw zucchini, raw yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms. I could go on and on!  Pick about 5-10 and let them taste test.  Don't pick the veggies you know they will eat.  Have them tell you 2-3 they would be willing to eat.  That's a good start!  I usually give them a little disposable container of Primal Kitchen's Ranch dressing to dip or I buy those Holy Guacamole to go packs.  Kids love to dip stuff!  Next week I plan to take pics of my boys lunches and post them at the end of the week.  Left overs are key!

Salmon and Eggs
 

No comments:

Post a Comment