Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Dining Out


We love to go out to eat just like most people.  But if you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle, it can be difficult if you don't do a little planning ahead of time.  I am going to give you a few tips I have picked up along the way.  It has made going out to eat feasible without messing up all the hard work you have done.  

We have a few usual places we like but we also like to try new places.  We never go into a restaurant without looking at their menu first.   We can usually find something to have at any place but we like to find somewhere that gives us a few options.   Burger places are actually one of the easier restaurants to go to.  It's all about what sides they offer.  More and more places are offering sweet potato fries or a side salad which is great!  We look for a place that has good sides and gluten free buns.  My husband and I go bunless but the kids usually want a bun and I prefer they not have gluten if I can help it.  Also when looking for a burger place, find somewhere that has add-ons to your burger.  I love to add egg, bacon, or avocado.  We were recently in Miami and I had a bunless burger with avocado and fried plantains!  Also, feel free to add extra meat!  

Mexican is also an easy option!  It's all about which Mexican restaurant you go to.  I look for a menu that has vegetables anywhere on the menu.  Then I just substitute the rice and beans for a double side of veggies.  Any basic dish can be made Paleo with a few substitutions.  Don't be afraid to ask either.  I have never had a problem when I order.  Most places have chicken mole, carne asada, fish, etc.    Just pick the meat you want and get a side of veggies.  I know some of you feel like if you don't have tortillas, beans, or rice it's not Mexican.  You just have to broaden your thinking.  Mexican is about the spices, sauces, and the method they cook.  Also, guacamole is also a great thing to have!!  We always get a large bowl of guacamole for an appetizer.  I do eat a few chips but have learned to limit it to just a few.  Margaritas!!  We love them!  Is there anyone in Texas who doesn't???  Look for a drink that gives the ingredients.  Don't get the maragarita that is made from a mix.  They are full of sugar.    I look for a drink that is made with agave, lime, and tequila.   You are still getting a great margarita (better in my opinion) but not all that sugar and preservatives.  If you can't find it on the menu, ask the waiter to make it for you.  They should have the ingredients.  This is for any alcoholic drink.  I always go for the drinks made with fresh juices and agave.  

No, we don't go to fast food restaurants.  I know some of them have some good options, but for us, I would rather find a place that has a little more flair.  If I go to a fast food burger place I would only be able to get a patty and maybe a side salad.  Kind of boring.  Plus the quality isn't always great.  I always think of eating a meal as a special time.  If you are running through the drive thru all the time, eating has become uneventful for you.  It makes eating just something you have to do to fill yourself up, not enjoyable.  

With all that being said, we have cut back on going out to eat because it can be easier to just make something good at home.  We went from going out 2-3 nights on the weekend to once every 2-3 weeks.  It took some getting used to but now going out to dinner has become a special treat instead of a a common occurance.  But hopefully the next time you go out to eat, you will have a better plan.  

I would like to share with you an easy recipe you can add to your kids lunch rotation or use it as a side dish.  For most of you, this is a recipe you have seen before but it's one that I often forget about.  This particular recipe came from Paleo Restart.  If you are trying to eat Paleo for the first time or have been eating this way for a while but need some new ideas, this is a great website to use.

Bacon Broccoli Salad 
2-3 heads broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 1/2 cups grapes, halved
10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1/2 an onion (we are a no onion family)
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 cup mayonnaise (made with avocado or olive oil)
1/4 cup lemon juice

Combine mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl.  Combine the rest of the ingredients in a larger bowl.  Add the mayonnaise mixture to the larger bowl and combine.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment